Re: Question about linux-wlan-ng-firmware in main

This one time, at band camp, Frank Küster said:
> Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:
> > Can't you just ship those ten lines in contrib, and the rest in main?
> > This may be archive bloat, but surely it's arch:all, so that minimizes
> > the bloat at least.  I am not over fond of the freer-than-free holy
> > wars, but it does seem like this script is exactly the sort of thing
> > that contrib was designed for.
>
> This explicitly does *not* mention "Suggests".

Who said anything about Suggests?  I am not talking about inter-package
dependencies.  I am only talking about the script that downloads some
non-free firmware.  The rest of the package is of course fine for main,
as far as I can tell from the conversation so far.

> I rather think it's a technical question:  Can a source package in main
> produce one binary package that is installed in contrib, or is the
> separation done only on the level of source packages?

I don't know the answer to that myself, although I can't see why not,
legally or ideologically, since contrib is defined as free in and of
itself, but with missing and/or non-free dependencies.  It shouldn't be
impossible to have a source in main/binary in contrib arrangement,
although maybe it is due to limitations of the archive software.

Not that I'm set on forcing this (as yet nonexistant) _binary_ package
into contrib.  It's just that all the other download packages are moving
there, and I thought it should be with it's friends.