How can a non-DD fix broken packages?

Hi all!

This email is motivated by an effective current issue, as detailed below, but
I'm seeing myself in similar situations quite often.

There is a package, which isn't officially orphaned, but the maintainer is
neither responding to bug reports nor to mails to her @d.o address. Even though
there is a patch provided with the bug report or I do have one myself, I'm
seeing no way of how to fix the bug and get the package back on track.

For the curious, my motivation currently stems from #328244. We are using
brickos and gcc-h8300-hms at our site for teaching purposes, so we had to patch
the gcc-h8300-hms package and provide it in our local repository, but this isn't
the way Debian works, is it!?

Thanks,
Michael