Re: Question about linux-wlan-ng-firmware in main

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Can't you just ship those ten lines in contrib, and the rest in main?
> This may be archive bloat, but surely it's arch:all, so that minimizes
> the bloat at least.  I am not over fond of the freer-than-free holy
> wars, but it does seem like this script is exactly the sort of thing
> that contrib was designed for.

Please think about what makes sense.

Contrib has been designed for free stuff which are useless without
non-free stuff. So when you create a wrapper package to install non-free
fonts, it goes clearly in contrib because having that package in main
would advertise too much the non-free fonts within Debian (the package
name appears in synaptic, and the description clearly mentions non-free
stuff) and we do not want that.

However in our case, this wrapper script is *not* a package on its own.
It's a helper script for a regular main package. The purpose of the script
is not to encourage people to use non-free stuff but only to enable users
which need those firmwares to download them... it's really not at the same
level than the other wrapper for me.

The "freer-than-free inquisitors" will explain that this is only rhetoric but
for me it's not.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog