Re: RFC/RFS: bfilter, aspell-hr, myspell-hr

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:23:43AM +0200, Vedran Fura?? wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for a sponsor (or sponsors) for the following packages:
>
> - bfilter (Simple web filtering proxy, see http://bfilter.sf.net)

I'd like to see this in Debian and am willing to sponsor it.

As far as the technical side of packaging goes, it seems to be mostly
in a good shape.  One thing you should see about is not compiling
statically the included libraries (boost and libjs, at least) but
using the shared libraries in Debian already.  It would save space on
users' systems and is a good practice securitywise.

Try to make a patch to send to upstream about this change.  I'm sure
they wouldn't mind having optional configure switches to not build the
included libraries and using the ones present on a system.  It would
save your workload in the long run, too.

You need to list all copyright holders and the years involved, even
for the libraries included in the upstream source tarball.  See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html

I see that the debian/copyright file might get quite long in this
case.  However, it is necessary.  That'll make FTP masters happy and
you don't want to make them unhappy.  And no, repackaging the
.orig.tar.gz file to remove those libraries just to avoid having to
list their copyrights is not the way to go, either.

Put in your debian/changelog: * Initial release Closes: #295782

Don't be shy.  Your ITP is equal to anyone else's, even if you're not
a DD.

There's a version 1.0.1 of bfilter out already.  You should package
it, too.

Fix these and I'll sponsor it.

> Man pages are missing for bfilter and bfilter-gui binaries. My English is
> not very good, but I'll probably write them in future. Linda also

You can ask debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org to check your man
pages.