Re: C Tutorial ?

Hello Roger,

Am 2006-05-07 00:23:32, schrieb Roger Leigh:

> Note that programming GTK+ in C is not "C programming", it's "GObject

Right, but...

> programming".  This requires that you know not only about how objects
> are implemented on a fundamental level by the C++ compiler (virtual
> method despatch with vtables, typeinfo, inheritance, polymorphism,
> RTTI etc.), but how to re-implement these concepts in C.  And, in
> addition, several features from smalltalk such as properties.

With the GTK+ 2.0 Tutorial found in Debian it is easy to
create Dialogs, even without knowledge about C...

It was realy crazy, as Laila had send me a hand full files
which I have compiled on my machine...  It just works.

She had understood un around 2 days HOW GTK+ is working...

She know allready how to use evenst and something like this.

> If your daughter wants to learn C, that's great, but GTK+ isn't really

She want to code stuff for the console using slang-utf8
and ncursesw and then some Front-Ends in GTK.

> what you do first with C; it's what you do once you've mastered C
> *and* C++, and then decided to use C instead.  I.e. it's not something

Why C++ if she do not need it?

> you would want to intimidate a beginner with (or many experienced
> programmers!), and is not generally a good choice.  If it was me, I'd
> stay with PyGTK!

Oh, I use GTK with PHP/Tcl and now I am switching from this
crappy wxwindows to GTK, wich works 100 times better.

> If she still wants to learn to use GTK+, she might find this useful:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/gtk/ogcalc/
>
> (PDF and source code examples)

We will check it out in the next days...

Thanks
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi