Re: man1 or man8?

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 16:35 -0700, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> I can't find a consistent rule for what should go into man1 vs. man8. For
> instance, "apt-get" can be used as an unprivileged user to download source
> tarballs, but it's in man8, whereas "defoma-reconfigure", which can only be
> run as root, is located in man1.
>
> Under debian, bt_xml2db and bt_db2xml will probably require you to be either
> www-data or root to operate on the installed mod_bt tracker database.
> Should documentation for these tools go into man1 or man8? Is this even up
> to debian, or is it an upstream source thing?

This isn't 100% clear for every case. Of course, when a package is
solely useful to the system administrator to do system administrative
tasks, it should belong in 8, and if it's neither of those it's in 1.
But there's a lot in between like the examples you mention.

I think the question is whether the program is mainly, or in principle,
a system administration tool. If that's the case, it should be in man8.
Like apt-get, where the unprivileged operation is just a small part.

As far as your upstream question, I wouldn't deviate from upstream
unless you have a really convincing argument why the man page placement
is incorrect. And even then, you'd better try to persuade upstream.

Thijs