hard-to-reach upstream. looking for advice

Dear DDs and DPMs (Debian Package Maintainers who might not be a DD)

I've packaged mozilla-bookmarksftp which is "Mozilla Firefox extension
to synchronize bookmarks" since I think it is a very very useful
extension -- I have been using it for a while to sync bookmarks between
4 boxes.. Current version in unstable/testing is 1.0.2,
but it is not compatible with recent firefox. Thus I need to upgrade it.

The problem is really is that original upstream author is hard (if
possible at all to reach) -- there is no official webpage since
mozilla.org rejected some recent version of it and upstream author
didn't bother to proceed or smth like that, thus
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/14/
has only 1.0.1. I've tried to reach upstream via email but got no reply.

There are few derivatives available

1. floating around "original" release from upstream 1.1.2 which is
compatible with fresh firefox. (available from  the website of 3 -- look
below)

2.  Bookmarks Synchronizer 3 (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1989/)
which is merely a fix of 1.0.2 to make it work with FF 1.5

3. Bookmarks Synchronizer SE
http://www.trasduzione.com/bmsync/ -- fork from 1.0.2, which now reached its
own 1.1.8 version. It has multiple bug fixes and improvements. But also
seems to be without any changes since  28 Jan 2006. I left multiple
inquiries and sent emails to those authors, but got no reply (besides
comments to my first question among the comments on
http://www.trasduzione.com/bmsync/). Also they switched to another
prefix in mozilla configuration parameters, thus anyone who will upgrade
to bmsync SE will have to reenter their configuration -- should not be a
big deal, since new prefix seems to be used by 1.1.2 from the original
upstream anyways. Also probably a package name has to change to
mozilla-bmsyncse which would be more appropriate

I am not sure which way I should proceed -- I really want to see that
extension upgraded but absence of contact with upstream holds me away
from simply choosing 1 or 3. 2 is just a hack on top of 1. so I would
prefer to stay away from it.

How usually people deal with such problems with upstream?

Thank you in advance for advice

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]