Naming of library -dev package

Hi!

Paul Wise and I are working on etl, and we've received a bug report
(#354069) about our choice of naming of etl-dev, the only binary package
this source package produces.

etl-dev is a header library -- it only contains C++ header files that
can be used at build time. We are working on two packages which will
build-depend on it.

Is the bug report (#354069) correct? Does policy really say that the
-dev package must be named lib<libraryname>-dev? To me, section 8.4
seems to say that the name should be <libraryname>-dev. Since the name
of this library is etl, the name would be etl-dev. Can anyone clarify?

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>