Re: RFC: swftools - a collection of utilities for SWF file manipulation

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 02:06:28PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

>       * debian/watch: best remove the comments, and probably unsplit the
>         line.
	Done

>       * debian/changelog: might want to use NMU-style numbers until you
>         find a sponsor who wants to upload a particular version of your
>         package, and then you would consolidate all the changelog
>         entries and upload -1 to mentors.d.n.
	I'm not sure what this means in practice. The NMU version should
	be 0.1 (i.e. 0.8.0-0.1), and then finally when it is uploaded,
	it would be changed to 1. At his point it would make sense,
	because this is not the final 0.8.0-1 version anyway, but even
	though the 0.8.0-1 would not be uploaded to the official Debian
	repository, I still let people use my unofficial repository. So,
	maybe I should just remove the ...upload to Debian... line,
	until it is actually uploaded.

>       * debian/compat, debian/control: you might want to use debhelper 4
>         to allow easier backports and ports to Ubuntu
	Done

>       * debian/rules: you might want to use the --list-missing or
>         --fail-missing options to dh_install
	Done

>       * debian/control: python-rfxswf depends on python2.4-rfxswf, while
>         python 2.3 is currently the default in debian.
	Fixed

>       * swftools binary package contains fonts from the gsfonts package,
>         perhaps you could depend on that package instead? You might also
>         want to ask upstream to remove the fonts and instead ask people
>         to download the fonts themselves.
>         http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=gsfonts&version=unstable&arch=all

	Good catch :) I'll talk to the upstream, but I suspect that
	they want to keep some kind of minimal set of fonts in the
	tarball.

	Anyway, I'll make a symlink
	/usr/share/swftools/fonts -> ../fonts/type1/gsfonts.

>       * You might want to remove the questions about
>         compiling/installing from the FAQ. Also, suggest to upstream
>         that they should split those out into FAQ.INSTALL or something.
	Yes, I mentioned this to the upstream, but it might take a
	while. Meanwhile I'll patch the FAQ.

>       * Not sure if I said this, but you might want to upload
>         avi2swf/wav2swf stuff to debian-unofficial.org
	Yes you did :) I just thought that since we don't have the
	official Debian package, there is no point of having unofficial
	either. I'll see if the nonfree version could be uploaded there.

>       * orig.tar.gz: there doesn't seem to be source code for
>         swft_loader.swf and tessel_loader.swf, how did upstream generate
>         these?
	I don't know. I haven't checked the earlier tarballs to see if
	they have always been delivered as binaries in the tarball.

> I hope you can find a sponsor, I look forward to seeing swftools in
> debian!

Thanks for your comments and support Paul.

> --
> bye,
> pabs
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise