upstream tarball repackaging from bz2 to gz

The upstream tarball for a package I maintain is in .tar.bz2 format.
I've been downloading it and recompressing it into .tar.gz format.
This seems like a very common situation.

1.  Should I still follow the section on "best practices for
.orig.tar.gz files" in the Developer's Reference, and include a
README.Debian-source file and a get-orig-source target in
debian/rules?

2.  Should I automate the bunzip2 & gzip in the debian/watch file?

(I don't think I can justify asking upstream to publish a more
wasteful version of the same bits on his website just to suit Debian.)