Re: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath documentation

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 09:40:23AM -0400, Charles Fry wrote:
> > In almost any situation rpath is a bad thing.  It is a very good idea to
> > let lintian check this.  A "private" library for the package is an
> > exception.  Of course lintian could also check and allow
> > /usr/lib/$packagename without a warning.  However, the rpath check is
> > useful in general, because most packages don't need rpaths to run (their
> > libraries are in the system library path) and shouldn't have them.
>
> In my situation, this isn't a "private" library. It is a library
> provided by the courier-authlib package. Does that change anything?

I would think so.  If the library is not in the system path, then it isn't
meant for other packages to link against it.  So that means either your
package has a bug that it links to the other package's private library, or the
other package has a bug that it put a public library in a non-standard place.

Policy 10.2 says about this:
	Packages containing shared libraries that may be linked to by other
	packages' binaries, but which for some compelling reason can not be
	installed in /usr/lib directory, may install the shared library files
	in subdirectories of the /usr/lib directory, in which case they should
	arrange to add that directory in /etc/ld.so.conf in the package's
	post-installation script, and remove it in the package's post-removal
	script.

It doesn't explicitly say, but it is clear that without a compelling reason,
the library must be installed in /usr/lib.

Thanks,
Bas