Re: How to correctly patch without cdbs?

* Mon 2006-06-19 Joseph Smidt <jsmidt AT byu.edu>
> I have a package that needs four pactches.  I put the four patches into
> debian/patches and cdbs patches just fine.  I want not use cdbs if possible
> for I am confused at how exactly it is working, but what debhelper command
> do you use to patch?

CHANGES TO debian/control

    Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), dpatch
                                     =======

CHANGES TO debian/rules

    include /usr/share/dpatch/dpatch.make

    build: build-stamp patch
                       ======

    clean: unpatch
           =======

That's pretty much it to activate dpatch support. You have to generate
the individual patches (with any means confortable to you) and convert
them into dpatch format.

    mkdir debian/patches
    touch debian/patches/00list

Fill in the variables:

    patch=tmp/main.c-fix-compiler-errors
    desc="Fixing compiling errors"
    tofile=debian/patches/10_$patch

    dpatch patch-template -p "$patch" "$desc" < $patch > $tofile
    chmod +x $tofile

    ... add the 10_* dpatch just stored into this list
    edit debian/patches/00list

The above is untested, I use bash function to automate all this, so
this is only an example of the work flow.

To test your set of patches be at root dir of the source (seeing the
debian/ dir):

    dpatch deapply-all
    dpatch apply-all

Jari