Re: Library packages and build dependencies

Nikolai Lusan <nikolai.lusan@hitwise.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am relatively new to building my own packages (previously I have been
> able to just alter sources from the main debian archives to suit my
> needs when I needed something customised) and I am having a couple of
> "issues".
>
> I am stuck in a situation where I am having to build specific point
> release packages using upstream sources, there are no debian source
> packages available for the specific releases I have to match and some of
> the packages are dependant on other customised packages (also for which
> there are no debianised sources). I have managed to get the things to
> build against one another but I keep getting a situation where debhelper
> is pulling some dependencies from older libraries installed on the build
> system (in particular pulling libpq3 from the build environment rather
> than the libpq4 that has been compiled elsewhere).

You might want to look at dh-make to help you get a good template for
those packages.

> I was going to try and fix this by building the specific lib and -dev
> packages and installing them in the build environment, but I can't seem
> to figure it out. When I look a other peoples packaging I notice that
> the lib and -dev packages (lets say for postsgresql-8.1 - libpq4 and
> libpq-dev) have their sources listed as the same .tar.gz, .diff.gz
> and .dsc that builds the main binary packages. I can't see any listing
> for these packages in the debian/control file and I can't see how they
> should be built using the debian/rules file. I have tried tweaking the
> Build

Technical speaking the packages don't have to be in the control file
but it is highly frowned upon if they are not or if the control file
is edited during build.

> Have I missed something big here? Is there a straight forward way to
> build the lib and -dev packages? or  alternately tell debhelper exactly
> what the dependencies should look like?

If you have a debianized source or actual debian source package you
just run "debuild -us -uc". -us/-uc is to not sign the package since
the maintainer in the changelog won't be you.

For more options look at man debuild and man dpkg-buildpackage.

> I get the feeling that this should be easy to deal with by compiling the
> library packages and installing them so that debhelper can find things
> in the right place, I am just a little unsure on how to do this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

MfG
        Goswin