On the trail of Linux "DLL Hell"...

Some of the mentors gave me a hand on a previous post where I asked
about packages with conflicting dependencies. I am now trying to track
down the problem, so I can solve it for myself and other Debian users.
(Its not a popular package, but there might be someone else pulling
there hair out over it...)

I think I've got a good handle on the concepts, but I'm still having
some trouble. I was hoping to provide some more specific details in an
effort to get a little more help. (I did download the Debian Policy
Manual, and I will give it a thorough reading through.)

I believe the package with the problem is "libsvn-javahl", which
provides a Java wrapper to SVN. When I select this package for
installation it tells me the following packages will be removed:

g++
g++-3.3
glade-gnome-2
gnome-common
libc6-dev
libstdc++5-3.3-dev
libstlport4.6-dev
libtool
locales
openoffice.org-dev

It says only one package will be installed:
libwpd8

Now, I checked out "libwpd8", figuring it must be the package causing
the conflict with the packages in the "To be removed" section.
However, "libpwd" is a library used to work with word perfect
documents. I don't understand what this has to do with the package I'm
trying to install, or the packages I'm trying to remove, except for
maybe "openoffice.org-dev".

What has me even more puzzled is that the "libwpd8" package isn't even
listed as a dependency of the "libsvn-javahl" package I'm trying to
install. Go figure. What the heck is it doing there in the "To be
installed" list?

What is the best solution to this situation? Should I try making a new
"libsvn-javahl" package, while contacting its maintainer to ask about
the problem? Or is there something else unrelated going on, and I'm
just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for the help and explanations.

Scott Huey