Re: Question about linux-wlan-ng-firmware in main

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> Packages containing some contrib material, without which the package functions
> well, can indeed go in main AFAIK.

Yes. That's enough. If you agree on that why do you need after that to
find a complicated explication on why finally this is not OK ?

> However, if I understand the situation
> correctly, this package is completely useless without the non-free firmware if
> you happen to have a device which needs it.  The fact that the package is
> useful for other people is quite irrelevant: the download script is useless
> for them anyway, irrespective of their attitude towards non-free software.

No it's not irrelevant. You need to consider the package as a whole, it's
not a package in one situation and another in a second situation.

The split is not justified by any technical need and thus your reasoning
is purely ideological. Technical reasons say the split is rather useless:
creating a new source package from scratch for a 10 line script is waste
of our resources.

So the decision is entirely up to the maintainer. He can integrate it in
the main package. However if he decides to create a dedicated package for
the wrapper, then he needs to create a new contrib source package.

> Then again, this sounds pretty much like a thing for debian-legal. :-)

Not at all. We all know what is DFSG and what is not in this case.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog