Re: create password in postinst

Hm,

please don't hit me ;)

Einst schrieb Frank K.<frank@debian.org>:

> If it is a password, it shouldn't be insecure.  Even for a virtual
> admin.

I'm working on this issue at the moment. Maybe md5sums could be useful,
as Justin mentioned on d-m@l.d.o - we'll see :)

> >>* postinst is sometimes called with other values (*not* only
> >>  configure). Though these are perfectly OK, your postinst script
> >> will fail.
> >
> > Could you describe what you exactly think about? (so that I can
> > imagine what would happen ... and learn from this)
>
> file:///usr/share/doc/debian-policy/
> policy.html/ch-maintainerscripts.html#s-mscriptsinstact

Hm, I do understand that this is a very important and critical part of
the policy. But, due to my non-perfect English, it's hard to get the
meaning of some terms into my head. At least for me. If there was just
a German version of this file ... but let's have a guess/try:

postinst:
1) It gets processed on initial/normal installation, which is ok.

2) I do not know what to do about "upgrade" right now?

Future versions should be able to handle the existance of the database.
One way to do this would be using debconf's database, wouldn't it? The
other way is to simply ask the user, but that could be a bore. So let's
take the debconf way.

postrm:
Do I really need it? Would a prerm be a better way?
On purge i have to delete all files shipped with vexim. That works
already fine in the current version.

Are there German native speakers around, that could help me to
understand this relationships among the control-files? If so, it would
be really a huge help for me.

> Regards, Frank

Thanks for your patience
  Daniel