non-standard configure && cdbs

Dear mentors,
  I'm using cdbs in a couple of packages which have a configure script
not generated by autotools, but hand-written. I need to invoke it before
the build target as usual, but since I'm not using the autotools.mk
class ./configure is not invoked automatically.

What is the proper way to do it with cdbs?

I tried something like:

  configure/foo::
          ./configure bla bla bla

but this leads to ./configure being executed twice, one time before the
actual building, another before the installation.

TIA,
Cheers.