depending on a customized library

[Cc-ing Ryan Murray because this question relates to libgc, one of his
packages.]

I am building packages of Asymptote[1], hopefully for eventual inclusion
in Debian.  The latest version has started depending on the Boehm
garbage collection library (libgc).  However, upstream strongly
recommends using libgc compiled without threads (--disable-threads),
since it gives a significant performance improvement (upstream says 15%
increase in performance.  I haven't tried it out myself).

[1] http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/

Currently, the Asymptote source requests people to download the Boehm gc
tarball and stick it in the Asymptote source directory, and it will
compile a static single-threaded version of the library.  Obviously,
since Debian packages are supposed to be build automatically, this isn't
an option.

As far as I can tell, I have a few options:

- just use libgc as-is, ignoring the performance hit

- add the Boehm gc tarball into the Asymptote source file, and let
  Asymptote compile it the way it wants to.  However, this would result
  in a big and ugly diff.

- make debian/rules download the Boehm gc tarball.  Is this even
  allowed?  Even if it is, it just feels wrong.

- ask Ryan Murray, current maintainer of libgc, to compile a
  single-threaded version of libgc, or coordinate with him to get a
  single-threaded version added to Debian.  I have no idea how the two
  different versions of the library would interact with each other.

What is the best way to proceed?  Are there other options?

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA