Re: Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 17:14 -0200, Guilherme de S. Pastore wrote:
> Em Sex, 2005-12-30 às 05:08 +1100, skaller escreveu:
> > I'm an outsider, I'm giving my impression of the process
> > to insiders that cannot see what I do from the outside
> > (as both a user and software developer).
>
> Do not forget that people are not born with their Debian accounts and
> that they have been outsiders once, some even got their accounts pretty
> recently, and they usually have a fair idea of how it works.

Yes, you're right.

> > > A good, productive way would be to motivate more people to sponsor
> > > packages for people, and to help them learn to do packaging better.
> >
> > No. My point is that this is NOT a good way.
>
> So come up with a better way and show it to everybody, please.

I'm trying. Don't expect a complete working plan though!
My suggestion now is that part of the work of uploading
should be done by trusted maintainers .. these are people
who know one or two packages.

> > I have learned how Debian packaging is done --
> > not very well, but I did build my own package.
>
> Don't you think that is a pretty good reason not to let everyone upload
> their packages?

OK. So 'not everyone'. Wikipedia was an extreme
example. How about someone who is regularly maintaining just
one or two packages? They're committed to Debian and to the
package -- but they're not as committed to Debian as a DD.

> That is exactly one of the points of sponsorship and the
> NM process, and is necessary if Debian is to take Quality Assurance
> seriously.

Sure. It's a matter of balance. IMHO at the moment quality
is going downhill because the QA process itself is bogging
the workflow down with 'paper work'.

> > I really get angry when people are incapable of accepting
> > criticism ..
>
> There are various ways of criticizing someone or something; some are
> nice and productive, generate good results and are very easy to accept,
> some are not...

Diplomacy is not my strong point. And sometime niceness
just doesn't work as well as stirring up a hornets nest :)