Rationale behind script-not-executable lintian warning

Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it's really hard to find
relevant hits when googling after lintian warnings...

It's of course clear that any script in the path should be executable.
But if a script is in /usr/share/somewhere, and meant to be used as a
"library", it could be that upstream wants to allow both to source and
to execute it.

So to make lintian happy, I would have to make it executable although I
know it will never be executed by Debian programs.  Or I would have to
patch the file to remove the shebang line.

Therefore I'd rather keep things as they are, but there must be a reason
for the lintian warning.  In the Policy section on permissions I
couldn't find anything specific.

TIA, Frank
--
Frank Küster