Re: RFS: FileZilla3 - GUI ftp client of wxwidgets2.6

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 17:19 +0800, Emfox Zhou wrote:

> >       * short and long description in debian/control needs improvement.
> >         A one line long description is not enough.
> improved

I suggest adjusting the grammar.

 FileZilla is a great file transfer client, like FlashFXP or FTPRush.
 .
 There was just one big problem. It was only for Microsoft Windows.
 Now, FileZilla 3 is on its way and it is for multiple platforms,
 as it has been completely rewritten using wxWidgets 2.6.
 .
 This software is still alpha software in early development, DO NOT
 use it in production environments, and use it at your own risk.

> >       * debian/rules: remove dh_make cruft and commented out dh_*/dpatch
> >         lines
> removed some, but i use dpatch, so it's needed

I refer to this line, which is commented out:
#dpatch call-all -a=pkg-info >patch-stamp

> >       * debian/manpage.1: that isn't a real manpage, delete it or write
> >         one
>
> deleted, i think a GUI apps needn't have a manpage

Debian policy is that all binaries should have a manual page. You may
have trouble finding a sponsor without this.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1

Lintian warning:
W: filezilla3: binary-without-manpage filezilla
N:
N:   Each binary in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /bin, /sbin or /usr/games should
N:   have a manual page
N:
N:   Note, that though the `man' program has the capability to check for
N:   several program names in the NAMES section, each of these programs
N:   should have its own manual page (a symbolic link to the appropriate
N:   manual page is sufficient) because other manual page viewers such as
N:   xman or tkman don't support this.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.1 for details.
N:
W: filezilla3: binary-without-manpage fzsftp

Additional notes:

      * please ship docs/*
      * the upstream changelog is empty, best to not ship that
      * same with the README/NEWS
      * some additional lintian/linda warnings to fix:

lintian:
W: filezilla3 source: source-contains-cvs-conflict-copy locales/.#zh_CN.po.1.2
N:
N:   Package contains a CVS conflict copy. These are generated by CVS when
N:   a conflict was detected while merging local changes with the updates
N:   from the source repository. The file name is `.#file.version', where
N:   file is the original filename and version the revision your
N:   modifications were based on.
N:
W: filezilla3 source: source-contains-cvs-conflict-copy locales/.#zh_CN.po.1.3
linda:
W: filezilla3; Package Build-Depends on automake* or autoconf.
 This package Build-Depends on automake* or autoconf. This is almost
 never a good idea, as the package should run autoconf or automake on
 the source tree before the source package is built.

> >       * why didn't you file an ITP bug before you started packaging and
> >         close it in debian/changelog. Please do this now
>
> done. sorry, i don't know i should do it, but just finding sponsor at
> debian-mentors list.

Hmmmm, I wonder where this should be spelled out so people get it right:

     1. Get interested in a package
     2. Find it is not in debian
     3. Check if it can be packaged and if it is already being packaged
     4. Decide if you want to package and maintain it
     5. File an ITP (intent to package) bug to *prevent duplication* of
        work
     6. Either upload it, or register your need for a sponsor on s.d.n
     7. Search for a sponsor on debian-mentors and other fora

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise