Re: Looking for a mentor for 'arno-iptables-firewall' package

On 9/15/05, Sven Mueller <sven@incase.de> wrote:
> Joost van Baal wrote on 14/09/2005 10:56:
> > On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 05:11:03PM +0200, Michael Hanke wrote:
> >
> >>I would like someone to have a look at it:
> >>http://apsy.gse.uni-magdeburg.de/~hanke/mentors
> >
> > debian-mentors readers: I am looking at it know.  The package is marked
> > as such on http://sponsors.debian.net/ .
> >
> >>There is one open issue. To actually setup the firewall one has to set
> >>the name of the external interface. Therefore it would be nice if a
> >>list of interfaces could be generated and displayed through debconf,
> >>but I don't know how to do it.
> >
> > The only thing I can come up with is: parse the
> >
> >  ip -o link show
> >
> > output.  You'd have to depend upon iproute for this, of course.
>
> Why not use "ifconfig -a"? On all my systems, it seems to work OK:
>
> ifconfig -a | grep Link\ encap \
> | sed -e 's/[       ][      ]*Link.*//;s/:[0-9]*//' \
> | sort -u
>
> The sed line removes the "Link encap" and hwaddr stuff and subsequently
> removes :[0-9]* tails from alias interfaces. Since that could list
> interfaces which have aliases more than once, the sort -u is used.
>
> I'm assuming here that you wouldn't want to use an alias interface as
> the name of the external interface...
That's it! Thanks. One question left: Is there any situation you can
think of where an external interface would have no hardware address?
If there is no such situation one could grep for 'HWaddr' instead.

Ciao,

Michael

--

GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke