configure.ac and make dist

I've just tried to make my new application into a debian package - all the
dependencies are finally available and I'm not sure why make dist is not
putting ./configure into the tarball by default.

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot can't work without a ./configure.

When I build the same CVS on a different platform, configure is included.

What have I missed? I shouldn't need an EXTRA_DIST setting for configure, yet
even when I add that, dpkg doesn't copy it into the build-tree:

/opt/debian/pilotqof/pilot-qof-0.0.3/build-tree/pilot-qof-0.0.3/configure': No
such file or directory

It's in pilot-qof-0.0.3.tar.gz and /opt/debian/pilotqof/pilot-qof-0.0.3/.

I've tried autoscan to see if there is anything obvious missing from
configure.ac but I couldn't see anything related.

--

Neil Williams