Re: what if the upstream version contains hyphens?

> I intend to package gnuplotfortran whose upstream is available at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplotfortran .The upstream released
> sources whose version is 0.2.2-1 .
>
> My questions are
>
> 1) What would be the corresponding Debian version? Should it be
> 0.2.2-1-1 or should i pretend the upstream's version is 0.2.2.1 and
> name the debian version to be 0.2.2.1-1?

As far as I remember, 0.2.2-1-1 is a perfectly valid Debian version, the
Debian revision will be the part after the last hyphen.

> 3) Are there any other packages which have/had this problem
> previously? How is/was it solved?

My netenv package has this problem, and while back I solved it indeed by
changing the upstream version.  Meanwhile I was convinced that this
wasn't necessary, but unfortunately I forgot when and where this was
discussed.

> The maint-guide currently is silent about this problem. But if there
> is some other documentation available which helps in this regard, I
> will be happy to read it.

The question is whether it matters at all.  I don't know whether any
tool¹ actually discriminates between upstream version and Debian
revision; dak does not when checking for NMUs.

Regards, Frank

¹except editing things like the Debian changelog mode of Emacs...
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich