Re: Program source including another program source

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 09:09:23PM -0300, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> When the source code of a program comes with another program inside, and
> this program is outdated (this program is also released as a tar.gz file
> and updated), what is the correct to do? I want to maintain packages of
> both programs and one doesn't depend on the other. Should I remove the
> directory that contains the source of the other program and repack the
> source?
> For example. foo and bar are two programs. Both have a source code
> foo.tar.gz and bar.tar.gz but inside foo.tar.gz there is a directory
> bar, containing an outdated version of bar's source code.
> And foo doesn't need bar.
>
> I started to discuss this on #debian-mentors, but I had to quit.
>
> Do I need to remove the outdated bar/ or I can let it there?

personally i would leave it there to preserve the pristine upstream
tarball, but only if:
- the program isn't used, especially if it is a license
- the included program is also dfsg-free

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com