Re: RFS: Sponsor needed for em-panel-applet

Søren Hansen wrote on 09/06/2005 10:55:
> I need a sponsor for:
>
> Package Name: em-panel-applet
> Version: 0.2-1
> Upstream Author: Miguel Angel Lopez Hernandez <miguel@gulev.org.mx>
> License: GPL
>
> Source and i386 binary packages can be found at
> http://www.warma.dk/ubuntu/em-panel-applet/

Note that I can't sponsor anyway as IANADD, but I just took a look at
the diff.gz file only and noticed a few things:

debian/README.Debian

- You should either edit that and add Debian-specific notes to it or
  remove it completely.

debian/copyright:

- The license is GPL, the copyright is "Copyright 2005 Novell, Inc.",
  you said the opposite.
- Also the GPL version 2 is available on Debian systems under
  /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2 and you should state that in the
  opyright file.

debian/rules:

- You added a line with docbook-to-man to the build-stamp target, but
  commented it out. Why?
- You should remove, not only comment-out unneeded dh_* calls

Did you remove config.sub/config.guess from the upstream tarball or
didn't it contain those from the beginning?

Also linda and lintian reported a few errors. Please check them out and
fix them:

$ linda -i em-panel-applet_0.2-1_i386.changes
W: em-panel-applet; Package's README.Debian seems to be a template.
 The README.Debian file installed by the package seems to be a template
 of some sorts. It contains the string '<possible notes regarding this
 package - if none, delete this file>', so the file should be fixed, or
 removed.
***** I already noted that above.
W: em-panel-applet; File /usr/share/doc/em-panel-applet/NEWS.gz in
package has zero size.
 The file above has a size of zero, which probably means it shouldn't
 be installed.
***** So you added a NEWS file, but didn't fill it with anything. Either
***** remove it  or add content.
W: em-panel-applet; File /usr/share/doc/em-panel-applet/README in
package has zero size.
***** Same as above.
W: em-panel-applet; File /usr/share/doc/em-panel-applet/changelog.gz in
package has zero size.
***** Same again (changelog.gz should contain upstream changelog)
E: em-panel-applet; Binary /usr/bin/em-panel-applet contains unneeded
section .comment.
 This binary or shared library is not completely stripped. It contains
 the unneeded section .note, or .comment.
E: em-panel-applet; Binary /usr/bin/em-panel-applet is not stripped.
 The binary shown is not stripped, and is included in a standard
 package, while Policy shows that it should be stripped.
***** Forgot to strip the binary ("strip em-panel-applet")

lintian also finds these additional ones:

(lintian -i output, with messages known from linda removed)
W: em-panel-applet: readme-debian-is-debmake-template
N:
N:   The README.Debian file installed by this package is merely the
N:   template provided by deb-make or dh_make, and contains no information.
N:   If there is nothing useful to say there, then the file is best
N:   removed.
N:
E: em-panel-applet: copyright-should-refer-to-common-license-file-for-gpl
N:
N:   Packages distributed under the GNU GPL must make reference to
N:   /usr/share/common-licenses as the location of the GPL on Debian
N:   systems.
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.5 for details.
N:
W: em-panel-applet:
copyright-lists-upstream-authors-with-dh_make-boilerplate
N:
N:   There is "Upstream Author(s)" in your copyright file. This was most
N:   likely a remnant from the dh_make template.
N:
N:   There's either one upstream author, in which case you should remove
N:   the "(s)", or there are several upstream authors, in which case you
N:   should remove the "(" and ")".
N:
N:   o/~ join us now and carefully edit debian/copyright files! o/~
N:

cu,
sven