Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On 20050517T230750+1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> I'm surprised that people have consistently read "submit patches" as
> somehow bypassing the maintainer, or telling him what to do. To whom
> would I be submitting the patches, if not the maintainer?
>
> I'm curious what you all had in mind that I was going to be doing;
> clearly something socially unacceptable. I don't see what that is
> though.

If I were to receive a bug report, say wishlist severity, containing a
patch that rewrites one of my packages' debian/rules to use debhelper, I
would be very upset: it would feel like an insult toward my style of
packaging.

The only three cases I see myself not becoming upset in are:
  1) the submitter is taking over that package with my consent (though,
  why create a bug report in that case?)

  2) the submitter had discussed it with me in advance and I had agreed
  to it

  3) the bug report contains a convincing argument why the new rules
  file is a substantial improvement over my current one (matters of
  style don't count) - and even then, I would recommend discussing it
  with me in advance
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer

http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/en/debian