Re: RFS: z80asm, assembler for the Zilog Z80 microprocessor

Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Bas Wijnen may or may not have written...
>
>>Erik Schanze wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>>Seriously, I think you should improve your long description to explain to
>>>an (unexperienced) user what this package is for. What can you do with
>>>this assembler? Why should you install it? What are the results of the
>>>programms (e.g. machine-code) for?
>

>>How about this one?:
>> The Z80 microprocessor is used in old home computers, such as the
>> ZX-spectrum and MSX, and in several newer devices, such as the TI-83
>> graphical calculator and the GameBoy.
>

> That's "ZX Spectrum"...

Right, changed.

> can this assembler output "tape image" (TAP or TZX)
> files for use with an emulator?

Currently not, it only outputs binaries (and list files, and label
files).  Adding different output formats should be pretty easy, but
until now I considered that to be the task of the emulator using them.
If you think it is a good idea to add it, please file a wishlist bug
(with a bit more info about how it works, as I am very familiar with MSX
computers, but not so much with the ZX Spectrum).

> (I could also add ZX80, ZX81, TS1000, TS1500, TS2068, TC2048, TC2068...)

There are a lot of them, I just listed a few (hence the "such as").  I
don't think it makes sense to try to be complete (the description would
get much too long anyway).  Do you think any "important" ones are missing?

> And, AFAIK, the Gameboy's CPU isn't exactly Z80 - it's missing at least the
> IX and IY registers and the corresponding instructions.

That is correct, it also doesn't have the block instructions (such as
LDIR).  Although I expect people who program for it to know that, I'll
change the text to reflect it anyway.  I want to mention the GameBoy
anyway, as the assembler can be used to program for it (as long as those
features aren't used).

Thanks,
Bas