Re: Library package naming

also sprach Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> [2005.05.07.1424 +0200]:
> I've got my own package (with sponsor) to upload at some point but
> it depends on the current CVS version of an existing library. I'm
> a developer on that project (and co-maintainer) and I can change
> the upstream code. The above snippet produces a different package
> name (which I expected as the current package name isn't
> intuitive).

If upstream makes no stable releases (and thus does not commit to an
ABI or API), you are probably best off not providing shared
libraries but only static ones for now.

You should also make sure that upstream adopts a proper versioning
scheme to make shared libraries possible.

> libqof-0.5.0-1 - Query Object Framework
> libqof-0.5.0-1-dbg - Query Object Framework - debug symbols

urks.

Make sure to read the Versioning chapter of the libtool manual.

`. `'`

http://www.transnationalrepublic.org/