Re: RFS: ITA: tex4ht -- LaTeX and TeX for Hypertext (HTML)

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:04:51PM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to Frank and Vassilii for all the comments. I have made changes and
> will soon put up newer versions at the following location:
>
>  	http://www.imsc.res.in/~kapil/debian/tex4ht/
>
> I have a number of questions which follow. If you can point me to a
> document which contains the answers, I will gladly read it.
>
> 1. Versioning while testing: How does one give version numbers while
>    testing the package? These versions will probably not be
>    put on the main archive at any time. On the other hand those who
>    are willing to test these packages will want to keep track of the
>    version that they are testing!
I do it the Debian way, increment the Debian version.  There are other
people using my .debs, and they need to see the version increase.
Also, it would really suck to have different versions of
foo_1.00-1_i386.deb floating around.

> 2. Upstream versions: The upstream author has until now followed the
>    version numbering YYYY-MM-DD but the recently released version is
>    1.0.YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM. This is a Debian "downgrade"! What is an
>    acceptable version number?
You could contine using YYYY-MM-DD notation.  You could also use an
"epoch": 1:1.0.YYYY-MM-DD-HHMM, which forces the otherwise lesser
version to be greater.

> 3. Maintainer created files: The previous maintainer created some additional
>    files (Makefiles, man pages etc.) which are *not* used upstream and
>    probably will never be. Eventually we may migrate to the build
>    procedure used upstream once that is published. Meanwhile, should
>    these files reside in the "debian" directory?
Depending on how many changes are in how many files, restricting the
changes to debian/ might be a nice property.  That way, the .diff.gz
is functionally equivalent to a tar cjf --- debian/.  If you have lots
of changes, then it doesn't make sense to do it like that (unless you
use dpatch, or similar, in which case all of those changes *will* be
in debian/).

--
Justin Pryzby
whois jgalt