Re: request help with auto(conf|make) and libtool

GCS wrote:
Dear Mentors,

Hi

 I would like to ask help for my package, xmms-blursk, which exists in
the pool, and a great visualisation plugin for XMMS. I have two
questions, the first is about bug #243161, FTBFS on ia64. I think I have
fixed it, by removing config.sub in the clean target, and let libtool
recreate it with a fresh version (actually it's a symlink to
/usr/share/libtool/config.sub now). If someone has access to arch ia64,
s390 or hppa, can confirm for me that it can be built now? Reading after
this topic, and checking config.sub I am pretty sure it is buildable by
now, I just would like to be 101% sure about it before uploading -2.
Second, I have a question about bug #243632, which points out that on
mips and mipsel the package built with a broken libtool version. I can
confirm that the dynamic lib is not produced, and 'file_magic ELF
[0-9][0-9]*-bit [LM]SB (shared object|dynamic lib )' is used instead
'pass_all' for lt_cv_deplibs_check_method. But I can't dealt with the
solutions given in the bugreport. First it says:
"The version of libtool used to build this source package is too old to
correctly support shared libraries for the Debian mips and mipsel
architectures.  Debian versions 1.5-2 and 1.4.2-7 and higher correctly
support them."
But from the buildd log on mips[1] and mipsel[2]:
"Setting up libtool (1.5.4-1)"
So the libtool version already greater than the 1.5-2 mentioned above.
Next it's ask for:
"libtoolize --force --copy
 aclocal
 autoheader
 automake -a
 autoconf"
which said to be a synonym of "autoreconf --force", and already in my
debian/rules file, expect the first line the libtoolize one. But even if
I call libtoolize, I can not see the change in the configure script that
would make it built on mips(el). What do I overlook, or the config.sub
change I already made may solve this as well?

Well, first the order is important, so you should call automake before autoconf (and not after as in your rules file). If you want to be sure it is correct, than the easiest way is to call libtoolize -f -c. This takes also care of the config.{sub,guess} issue.

Well, even then it doesn't work because an old version of libtool.m4 is incorporated in acinclude.m4. You can solve this by deleting the lines 1063 till the end of file acinclude.m4 and running the appropriate sequence of commands as mentioned before.

Anyone knows about free access to mips(el) machines, like Sourceforge
does, and I can try it out myself?

I don't know of any (except the ones for DD). Please let me know if you find any (I'm also interested in other arches).

Cheers

Luk