Re: How to deal with Python script

Tom Huckstep <tom-lists-debian-mentors@jaguarpaw.co.uk> schrieb:

> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 03:43:51PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>> > 1. Add a Depends: on Python
>> > 2. Remove 'teepeedee-share' from the .deb
>> > 3. Put teepeedee-share in a separate package
>> > 4. Replace the 'teepeedee-share' with a shell wrapper, which calls the script
>> >    if Python exists
>> [...]
>> > I like 4. and it is what I have implemented, but my sponsor is
>> > not so keen.
>>
>> Have you considered adding a "Recommends" or "Suggests"?
>
> That's a good idea, I'd forgotten to do that.  Do you think that will be
> enough, or is there something else I should/could do?

Put a note in README.Debian and/or the manpage for teepeedee-share that
the script will only work when Python is installed.

Policy says

,----
| The Depends field should be used if the depended-on package is
| required for the depending package to provide a significant amount of
| functionality.
`----

obviously, your package has significant functionality even without. You
will have to deside whether teepeedee-share will be used "in all but
unusual installations" (Recommends) or not (Suggests).

By the way, if this script is intended to help with the configuration,
why isn't it called (or symlinked to) teepeedee-conf or a similar name?
I don't know what teepeedee is, but I'd expect that *-share has
something to do with filesharing, networking, multiple users etc, but
not with basic setup.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie