Re: Separating packages.

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 14:55, n.v.t n.v.t wrote:
> What does the ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends} mean? I can't find the
> meaning of those in the debian policy either? Why not just put depends of
> the splited package in the depends line instead of this?

You can manually enter the dependencies of each package, that's fine --
but it could be a lot of work for a human. Debhelper is there to help
you.

${shlibs:Depends} and ${misc:Depends} are documented in the debhelper
documentation [0]. Basically, ${misc:Depends} tells debhelper to insert
dependencies for packages that you need because you have used some
debhelper feature. ${shlibs:Depends} is a debhelper program that
generates a shlibs file for shared libraries.

They are useful because they will save you some typing, and if something
changes in debhelper or in your package, you don't have to work out the
dependencies manually -- debhelper will take care of it for you.

Of course, if you don't use debhelper in your package (you should :) or
if your package doesn't have shared libraries, then you don't need
these. There are other such substitution variables, such as
${perl:Depends} for perl packages, and ${python:Depends} for python
packages.

[0] Type "man debhelper".

Cheers,
--