RFS: git (GNU Interactive Tools)

Hello.

I'm in the process of adopting the orphaned package git (GNU
Interactive Tools).

I'm looking for a sponsor, preferably someone who would be prepared to
advocate me if they are happy with my work.

I've fixed all the outstanding bugs in the BTS (apart from one
wishlist bug requesting unicode support, tagged upstream),
rewritten the rather elderly debian/rules to use debhelper,
and made various other small fixes (see changelog below).

The package is lintian- and linda-clean (apart from
newer-standards-version), builds cleanly with pbuilder, and is
licensed under the GPL.

Files (git_4.3.20*) are at http://nessie.mcc.ac.uk/~ianb/debian/

Comments are welcome.

 git (GNU Interactive Tools) is a set of interactive text-mode tools,
 closely integrated with the shell.  It contains an extensible file
 system browser, an ascii/hex file viewer, a process viewer/killer and
 some other related utilities and shell scripts.  It can be used to
 increase the speed and efficiency of most of the daily tasks such as
 copying and moving files and directories, invoking editors,
 compressing and uncompressing files, creating and expanding archives,
 compiling programs, sending mail, etc.  It looks nice, has colors (if
 the standard ANSI color sequences are supported) and is user-friendly.
 .
 One of the main advantages of Git is its flexibility.  It is not
 limited to a given set of commands.  The configuration file can be
 easily enhanced, allowing the user to add new commands or file
 operations, depending on its needs or preferences.

Changelog:

  * New maintainer (Closes: #227778).
  * Rewrote debian/rules to use debhelper.
  * Added config files for Eterm (Closes: #122034) and linux-m.
  * Added man pages for gitps, gitview, gitwipe, gitwhich and gitxgrep,
    and links from gitr[ef]grep to gitrgrep (Closes: #233237, #233239).
  * Set default ModeHelp lines to help rather than system info in
    all term/.gitrc.TERM files (Closes: #156647).
  * src/fsusage.c: include <stdlib.h> or "ansi_stdlib.h" (for abort(3)).
  * term/Makefile.am: added DESTDIR support to install-data-hook
    and uninstall-local, converted hard links to symlinks.
  * debian/control:
    + added Build-Depends on texinfo, texi2html, debhelper,
      automake1.4 and autoconf2.13.
    + removed Build-Depends on file.
    + rewrote Description.
    + changed Section to utils.
  * Updated Standards-Version to 3.6.1.
  * configure.in: unconditionally define HAVE_LONG_FILE_NAMES
    to get round fakeroot problems with AC_SYS_LONG_FILE_NAMES.
  * src/git.c: set default GIT_EDITOR, GIT_PAGER and GIT_BROWSER
    to sensible-editor, sensible-pager and sensible-browser.
  * doc/git.texinfo, doc/gitaction.1: changed paths to match debian,
    documented new sensible-* defaults.
  * doc/git.texinfo: corrected keys for panel minor modes
    (prefix is ESC e, not ESC d)

Thanks,

Ian.

--
Ian Beckwith - ianb@nessie.mcc.ac.uk - http://nessie.mcc.ac.uk/~ianb/
GPG fingerprint: AF6C C0F1 1E74 424B BCD5  4814 40EC C154 A8BA C1EA