Re: daemon users' $HOMEs?

martin f krafft [u] wrote on 10/10/2004 15:11:
I have an unclarity about the $HOME of daemon users in hook scripts:

If there is no directory that we could call $HOME for the daemon,
what to do? --no-create-home is definitely needed, and not
specifying --home yields /home/$DAEMON in /etc/passwd, which is
nonexistant. Is that preferred, or should something like
/nonexistant be used instead?

Thanks for any answers or pointers. The policy does not seem to care
about this. And neither does devel-ref state something along the
lines.

Most system users seem to set their home directory to the variable data path their daemon uses. www-data uses /var/www, irc uses /var/run/ircd, sshd uses /var/run/sshd. However hacluster (heartbeat) uses /tmp. /tmp is also the recommended home directory for system users on Mandrake and Redhat IIRC. If the daemon doesn't have any run-time data which would belong in /var/lib or /var/spool, I would say use /tmp.

Regards,
Sven