Re: seek for advice of package regexx

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 12:48:54PM +0100, Qingning Huo wrote:
> I think it would be better to use the libpcre3 library, make regexx
> easier to maintain, and more up to date.  Before I start working on it,
> I would like know whether this is the best practice, and whether there
> are any pitfalls.

As Matthew Palmer already said, it might be non-trivial. However, _not_
doing so is suboptimal for at least two reasons:

- security. If a security issue is found in libpcre, a security fix will
  not propagate automatically into your package
- space considerations. If you use the Debian libpcre library, your
  program will be smaller, both on disk and in memory (due to sharing
  with other programs using libpcre)

And of course maintainability, you don't have to maintain the pcre code
and can blaim^Wask the libpcre maintainer about any bugs in it :-)

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl