make-kpkg, cross compiling for powerpc?

How do I invoke "make-kpkg" to cross compile a kernel for powerpc?

I've built and installed "gcc-3.3-powerpc-linux". I tried "make-kpkg --revision 200406241 --rootcmd fakeroot --arch powerpc kernel_image", without success. Apparently the "Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does not match gcc system type i386-linux."

I've been over the "make-kpkg" man page, but I found the descriptions of "--arch" and "--cross-compile" unclear (or written for someone who already knew what they were doing). I'm afraid google couldn't help me this time.

Thanks for your help!

Jack