Re: UTF-8 changelog?

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:02:46AM +0200, Magos?nyi ?rp?d wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Lintian tells me that there are obsolete national charset characters
> in debian/changelog, and I have to convert it to UTF-8.
>
> The national characters are in my name. First I have converted
> changelog, then lintian figured out that I do an NMU. So I also
> converted control.
>
> Now I cannot debsign, because I could not properly tell gnupg my name
> in UTF-8 encoding (cut&paste did not actually work).
>
> How did you handle the situation?
> (I convert back to latin-2 for the time being, but I am overly
> interested in the Right Way.)

Use the -e'Your Name <youremail@provider.net>' to dpkg-buildpackage, in
ASCII (you need to have write your name without any non-ASCII, that is,
non-7bit, characters).

If you want to write your name in non-7bit characters, you'll need to do
so in UTF-8, there is no real policy yet for this issue, but the
consensus seems to be it becomes '_if_ you use non-7bit characters,
those must be in UTF-8'.

So in the latter case, write your name in debian/control in UTF-8 too.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl