Re: Executing with root priviliges

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:04:26AM -0400, James Damour wrote:

> My question for this thread is, "should I continue to pursue an
> independent setid_wrapper, which would solve this requirement as well
> as mine, or should I work with the sudo upstream to get a setgid
> option added?"  Put another way, given that my needs are not met by
> any of the alternatives presented in this thread, what is the best
> way (for *all* of Debian) to address them?

  I still like the idea of a simple wrapper, as this could be used
 as a general mechanism for granting privileges.  The only downside
 is that it avoids the existing solutions such as run (ewww!), sudo,
 etc.

  For your specific package you have the choice of either having
 a minimal script wrapper, or a dependency upon something else to
 encourage it to work.

  (Of course the option is always there to dyke out the highscore
 support - and just store such things in ~/.foo-scores).

  When it comes to Java games I've only noticed one which is
 setgid(games), and that is 'filler'.

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.