Re: Package review and comment wanted

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:01:34AM +0900, Bengt Thuree wrote:
> >The version of the debian package you produce is taken from the package's
> >topmost changelog entry.  For timestamps, you can use touch(1), but I'm
> >having trouble coming up with why you'd want to stamp a file to a
> >particular
> >time...
> for the buppo --version output. And I think it would be handled by cvs
> or subversion, but for the moment I am actually using .deb as my
> revision control....

OK, so you do actually want to have your version information generated
automatically from your revision control stuff.

I use tla for most of my ongoing development work now, and I've put scripts
together to make a release for me.  This includes creating a tag branch for
the release, as well as automatically sorting out the version numbers in the
code.  (I'm actually basing my versioning off the Debian changelog, since
it's a Debian-native project, but that's not important).  What you could do
is write a script which takes an argument of your new version number, which
tags in your revision control system, does a search-n-replace with sed for
inserting the current version number, and perhaps resets the debian version
in debian/changelog (run something like dch -v <foo>-1).

I love shell scripting.

- Matt