Re: How to get package in main with the same version to upgrade over a mentors.debian.net version?

Remco Seesink wrote:

> I am preparing an updated package with an unsolved security bug.  I
> would like to upload it to mentors.debian.net, but when it gets
> uploaded to main it will have the same version number as the one on
> mentors. I would to know if there is a way to upload to mentors and be
> sure it gets upgraded when it enters main.

If the new package is different from the package on m.d.n, then you
should add a new changelog entry and increment the Debian version
number.  Users will automatically be upgraded to the newer version.

> I looked at the policy and the reverse problem seems to be solved by
> using epochs. An negative epoch is not the way right? And how do I
> apply an epoch? Yada complains when I try to put an Version: field
> somewhere.

An epoch should rarely be used.  It is not appropriate or necessary in
this case.  (Epochs are usually used when the upstream versioning scheme
changes, like when Mozilla upgraded from version M18 to version 0.6.)

> Is there an other way to do it without having to bump the debian
> version?  Or is that exactly what I should do?

Yes, you should bump the debian version.

Use "dpkg-buildpackage -v" when uploading the package to the archive to
include all of the relevant changelog entries in the uploaded "changes"
file (including changes from versions that were uploaded to m.d.n only).