Re: [OT] A question for programmers - Inspiration

I get less out of computer books than most people on this thread. With
the technical/reference books I seem to not read them until I know most
of what's in them, and then just use them to mop up any odd corner I
missed. And I'd rather learn the more process and theory oriented stuff
the hard way. This is kind of weird, because I love to read in general,
and like to learn by reading. Just not about programming. Or math. Hmm..

deFreese, Barry wrote:
> OK, so this is going to be somewhat of an esoteric question but..  How did
> you really delve into development and what is/are your sources of
> inspiration.  I am trying to dive head first into Python/Perl?/C/C++ and
> while it's easy enough to write the "Hello Worlds" and CD-catalog programs
> :-) how did you move beyond that.
>
> For example.  I see a lot of questions on debian-user about configuring IP
> addresses, so I thought, hey I'll write a quick Python app to configure
> /etc/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf.  Of course doing an apt search
> produces etherconf, linuxconf, and several other utilities for configuring
> interfaces.  Would you write the app anyway just for the experience??  How
> did you get from the middle ground to guru-dom??  Or is the answer that if I
> need to ask, I will never be a hacker!!??  :-)

This is a hard question for me to answer in the modern world of
computers. I learned to program because I bought a dead-end computer
platform (atari 130xe), didn't have money for any software, and so just
wrote whatever I needed. This was a powerful motivation for working on
just about anything. But how to relate this kind of experience, which
was common then, to today? Maybe it's possible to have the same kind of
experience on special-purpose platforms, like the palm, or embedded
systems or weird architectures. It might be a bit artificial, to limit
yourself in such a way if you didn't already have a particular interest
in one of those things.

After leaving the backwaters of mid-80's atari, I did run into your
problem with PC's. I remember it was a shock to run into programs for
the PC that were so much better than I could hope to make (as I recall,
these included Battle Chess, Doom, Autocad, and BBS stuff; reflecting my
interests at the time). It was dispiriting. At that point I had to find
another source of inspiration, and I think I mostly muddled through just
being interested in learning more about the relatively more complex
platforms of dos and windows and how to code for those. This was
probably one of my low points for doing much with computers. I completly
sympathise with where you're at.

When I encountered the net and linux that all changed, and I found a
dual source of motivation that has worked for me for a long time. Find
something that sucks, and make it not suck. Also, learn, learn, learn,
since so much of the system emphatically does *not* suck, and since
there is so much interesting history around unix and the internet. I got
into debian to make it better, and to learn all about how unix systems
work, and I still have many problems I'd like to see solved, and many
things to learn to be able to fix them. Of course this is less of a
motivation now for the beginner than it was in 1993-4.

One other inspiration for me has been helping people. Though this has
been spottier than I could hope, I do from time to time end up doing
some program entirely because I can see other people need it. This tends
to broaden experience a lot. Things like writing programs for an
unfamiliar platform (microsoft), in a unfamiliar language (spanish), and
needing to work closely with the people who would use it, cannot help
but change how you look at things. My most valuable experiences in this
area have been when I had direct contact with the people who would be
using the program, rather than just noticing a hole and deciding I would
try to go fill it like you did with networking.

In just the last 4 years or so, I've found one more inspiration. I'm
finally doing some fairly unique things, and finally starting to try to
develop what seem to be some new ideas. But this has been pretty modest
so far. A few flashes of insight, punctuated by a lot of more derivative
work. Very satisfying though, for me, when it happens.

I don't think I've really anwered your question, though I hope I've
provided some perspective. I'd really like to hear from people who have
just gotten into programming and learning about computers in the past 2
to 4 years and have managed to find good sources of motivaton, and what
those motivations were. I keep running into young teens letely who are
clearly interested in computers, but are stuck in the pit of just using
and tweaking prepackaged stuff and not learning or creating anything
much, and I would like to find ways to help them make the step up.

--
see shy jo