General programming questions list?

Hi,
Where should I post general programming questions? What are some good
(interactive) resources? I'm still reading the required and suggested new
maintainer's documentation, so forgive me if it's pointed out somewhere.

A real example should anyone be inclined to comment:
In C++, I have a base class and a derived class. I want to allow operator=
to be overloaded properly for my derived class such that it can have the
base class assigned to it. Do I need to define derivedClass::operator=()
to copy all the members and set any new members to null? Can I somehow use
the operator=() function from the base class to save time (especially since
the base class isn't written by me)?

     Drew Daniels