Re: config.sub and config.guess | .diff.gz bloat

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Should I email this to the debhelper script maintainer?

No.  But you could send a wishlist bug to the dh_make (or debmake, whichever
one you used) pakcages to update it.

I have changed this thing in autotools-dev' README for quite a while.
The old cp way was there to satisfy some weird notion people (and even I,
I admit :-) ) had that it was somewhat better to put the dang thing in
the sources, since that's what upstream should have been doing anyway.

> Even if the program I'm packaging doesn't use autotools

If it needs config.sub or config.guess, then you need them in. Otherwise
you obviously don't.  I suggest you grep for them in your source tree.

> (I have a vague understanding that perhaps they're needed
> for cross-platform autobuilds and have to stay, but haven't
> got a clear answer yet...)?

config.sub is needed everywhere autoconf was used (it is called by the
configure script). config.guess is often needed as well, either because
you don't want users asking why calling ./configure doesn't work, or
because you don't call configure properly in your debian/rules file
in the first place (HINT: You are to tell it the build and target
platforms using info from the proper env. variables).

  Henrique Holschuh