Re: managing existing packages

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Eric Winger wrote:

> In putting my packages to my local repository, I've encountered a number
> of messages & questions.
>
> When running dpkg-scanpackages I got this message:
>
> ! Package spinelli (filename pool/spinelli_0.9_i386.deb) is repeat;
>    ignored that one and using data from pool/spinelli_0.10_i386.deb !
>
> I'm using a pool directory & I'm wondering if this message came because
> I kept my existing .deb files around from the first version (spinelli
> 0.9).

Yes. this is the case. It is a warning and it is harmless. In the
generated Packages file you will have always the latest one.

> Should one purge older package versions from the database as good
> practice?

There is no real best practise for this. It stands up to you and the usage
you make of your archive.

> If so, are there automated tools for this?

you can try using mini-dinstall. It is quite simple a pretty powerfull.

> dput doesn't seem to have a 'purge old versions of this package' option.

dput is used only to upload. It has no power to modify the archive.

> Or is this to be done manually (yuck)  Deb-reference didn't speak of a
> good practice for this. But it did mention an expiration mechanism, but
> it wasn't clear to me if this was something I could control.

Well it depends how big is the archive. if it is made of a few packages
mini-dinstall will work for you. If it is a new Debian distribution you
might want to check dak on cvs.debian.org.

>  ** Packages in archive but missing from override file: **
>   gnu-smalltalk gnu-smalltalk-doc spinelli
>
> I'm not sure which override file is being referred to. Any ideas?

Check the man page for dpkg-scanpackages

Fabio

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html