Re: can't install from a local repository - success!!!

Got it! My package installed! Thank you Thank you Thank you everyone. I think I was confusing the two types of repositories and how to access them (automagic & simple - from the repository howto).

Sorry for delayed response.

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

Luk Claes <luk@zeus.UGent.be> writes:

> I added deb-src http://mysite/ pool in sources.list

I didn't do this. I followed the comments below by Goswin for my structure. In fact, pool doesn't appear in my sources.list at all. (just fyi)

That means (replace {dist} and {section} with sid,main or sid,local):

repository/dists/{dist}/{section}/binary-<arch>/Package.gz
reposirory/pool/

Question: Since this is a local-use only repository, wouldn't it make more sense to give this a {dist} name that isn't linked with the current debian builds - sid, woody, etc. It's clear I can name the dist anything I want locally but current good practices should dictate what the name should be. Any recommendations?

You can then generate the Packages and Sources files like this:
% cat repository/update.sh
cd repository
dpkg-scanpackages pool /dev/null >dists/{dist}/{section}/binary-i386/Packages
dpkg-scansources pool >dists/{dist}/{section}/source/Sources

gzip -9 <dists/{dist}/{section}/binary-i386/Packages >dists/{dist}/{section}/binary-i386/Packages.gz gzip -9 <dists/{dist}/{section}/source/Sources >dists/{dist}/{section}/source/Sources.gz

And in sources.list:
deb http://repository {dist} {section}

I used file:///{repos name}. But I believe that is minor.

You should also create Release files which you can mostly copy from
debian. Take care to change the Origin for BTS purposes though.

I haven't done this yet. Still getting my feet wet. But pinning is something I will look into.

MfG
        Goswin

MfG? (just curious)