Re: post-installation script errors

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Peter Nome <peter@cogweb.net> writes:
On a woody base install, I'm getting lots of post-installation script errors, like this:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sed.prerm: line 9:   653 Segmentation fault      install-info --quiet --remove sed
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sed.postinst: line 11:   662 Segmentation fault      install-info --quiet --section "General commands" "General commands" /usr/share/info/sed.info

Well, you can see the commandline, and if you can muster your way through the perl that is the install-info script, you may be able to track this down. If you've gone and done something like try to remove /usr/info and /usr/share/info, you may get stuck in an infinite loop (that's what happened to me, anyway). If you don't care about info pages, this is how I got past it:

        echo "* Menu:" > /usr/info/dir

You may want to make a backup copy of this file first if you try this.

regards,
Chris

[sorry for replying like this - missed the original post]