Re: Installing *i686.deb's with dpkg (wrong system type: i386 vs. i686)

Hi 'rrp' (?)

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 19:13, rrp wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I built a Debian source package optimized for my i686 system
> by modifying the debian/rules (CFLAGS= -O3 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686).
>
> When I try to install my new binary with
> 'dpkg -i gzip_1.3.2-3.686_i686.deb' I get an error that
> the architecture of my package (i686) doesen't fit my system
> type (i386).

> How can I tell woody that my system is i686 and not i386?

This is what you're doing wrong: you can alter debian/rules to compile
using arch-specific optimisation, but dpkg's architecture list does not
support sub-archs, therefor you must change the name of you package
manualy to something like <package>-i686 to specify what you want.
Leave the Arch field in debian/control as i386, that's the best dpkg can
do for you right now.

Hope I was of any help.

Cheers

--