Re: Safe removal of a user while purging

> Why not just run the regular account deletion, and post an error
> message if it fails? That what I do in a similar situation
> (lyskom-server):
>
>   # Remove 'lyskom' user
>   userexist=1
>   getent passwd lyskom > /dev/null || userexist=0
>   if test "$userexist" = "1"; then
>     # User did exist
>     echo 'Removing lyskom user.'
>     deluser lyskom || echo 'Could not remove lyskom user'
>   fi

Policy 7.2:

"...Note, however, that the postrm cannot rely on any non-essential packages
to be present during the purge phase...."

Neither deluser nor getent is essential.

> I don't think trying to mess with the things manually is a good idea.
> It's not the end of the world if the account remains after purge if a
> note has been posted about it, imho.

Neither do I, but I can't find a good alternative that don't break 7.2.

--
Magnus Ekdahl 0739-287181 magnus@debian.org maguno@ludd.luth.se
public key available at http://oxtan.campus.luth.se/magnus.public