Re: obsolete, harmful conf files

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 03:42:25PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 24-Jun-2002 Oliver Kurth wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have changed a package and made some files in /etc/pcmcia/ip-{up,down}.d/
> > obsolete. Since they are in /etc they are conffiles. Since they are
> > conffiles, they will not be removed on upgrade. Since they are
> > also scripts, they are somewhat harmful.
> >
> > Should I...
> > 1) remove them quitely (probably not)
> > 2) ask via debconf if they should be deleted
> > 3) move them out of the way, if so, where?
> > 4) do nothing (bad idea, here for completeness)
> > 5) [insert a better answer here]
> >
> > I did not find an answer in the policy, I hope I searched hard enough...
> >

> so by obsolete do they have new names?  has the functionality moved elsewhere?
>
> The real answer depends on if the user is going to lose functionality (or gain
> unwanted functionality).  If this is simply "I have renamed these and put them
> in /etc/foo" you should be able to get away with debconf.  But if there is a
> possibilty the user (and this should be a fair number of users, not like 1 or
> 2) have seriously mod'ed the file you have a bigger problem on your hands and
> should consider supporting both the old and the new files.

In principle they have moved to another location, /etc/network/if-{up,down}.d,
and at the same I have greatly changed them. What happens if they are not
removed is that both of them will be executed. They both start a process
in background (fetch and/or send mail). Whatever will be executed first
will block (by a lock file) the second, because it is likely that the
time span between them is short. The old scripts also depend on a conf file
which is obsolete as well (it is still there, because it is a conffile, but
not supported by debconf).

My worries are that I get lots of bug reports because the package does not
behave as expected by the users.

No need to Cc.

Greetings,
Oliver